Sunday 12 September 2010

Got Milk?

Your mother told you to drink your milk, (you didn’t).
Your doctor encouraged you to take calcium supplements, (you didn’t).
Now what?

"Your body will lay down bone mass until your early 30s, so if you are in your teens or 20s, you have time to reverse the years of inadequate calcium intake and start building stronger bones,” says Nikki Tierney, a registered dietician in private practice in Quincy, Massachusetts. “If you've passed this age, all is not lost. You may have missed the opportunity to build bone mass, but it is never too late to prevent more bone loss.”


Women who are 19 to 50 years old need 1,000 mg of calcium per day;
those 51 or older need 1,200 mg per day.

“You absorb calcium best from food sources, so be sure to include these in your diet,” she says. “The easiest way to get your calcium is to get three servings of milk or yogurt each day. If you are looking to add in a supplement, get something with 500 to 1,000 mg, such as calcium chews.” In addition to dairy, you can get your calcium from the following sources: ½ cup firm tofu (204 mg), 3 oz canned salmon (181 mg), 1 cup pinto beans (103 mg) or 1 cup cooked kale (94 mg).

18 comments:

julianne. said...

iii have to drink soy milk caus of my tummyyy.
but boy that cowis preccciouss,
sso is heidi.

Liesl said...

Interesting and good to know! Growing up my parents had us drink milk with breakfast, lunch and dinner, but once I was in high school and college, I left that, but have always known it was important...just not this important! I used to take calcium pills and think I must again! Thank you!

Liesl :)

La pépite modeuse said...

:)

Abbey said...

I love this ad! The outfit is so cute!

www.a--style.blogspot.com

chantelle said...

i really dislike milk, although i don't mind flavoured milk! vanilla chai lattes, caramel lattes, mochas and hot chocolates are all fine by me :) lovely post, fe! how have you been, sweetie?! ♥

molly said...

as long as there are cookies involved...

Silkybow said...

great... im lacking so much calcium U_U
Making I should really eat the calcium tablets again :(

Rebecca said...

i drink tea with milk... i think that'll do :p

http://itscohen.blogspot.com/

Lily said...

Milk isn't meant for human consumption, but it's delicious anyway. But I love Soy milk :)

~Lily/BanappleArt

Unknown said...

yeah i like this post
every one needs calcium whether they are women or men
always drink milk for good heatlth
thats great idea

Unknown said...

What a great informative post! And thank you for following! I'm following you now as well!

Great blog!

Faiza said...

thank you for y our kind commento n my blog. wishing you a wonderful weekend ahead.

Jade Purple Brown said...

im really not a big fan of milk i rather drink water.

jadepurplebrown.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

i love heidi klum shes gorgeus!

www.cloeeandme.blogspot.com

Paint it Black said...

Great post and fabulous advice. My nan has brittle bones and it is horrible.

Love your post on the Diesel adverts btw xoxo

La penderie de Chloé said...

Oh I really love those ad. They are so fun!

You got a very cute blog. I'm glad to fallow you <3

Thank for your cutes comments.

Lots of Love from FRANCE.
xx

JenlovesBal said...

Great post, my doc was just expressing the importance of calcium intake and I'm trying my best to get the daily requirement.

It's funny you mentioned Quincy, Mass, because that's where I was born. :)

Fé... said...

Hahaha. I too am not a big fan of milk, my dear Chantelle. It makes me wanna puke. And those other drinks you mention don't really appeal to me either. The only one that can make me go crazy is green tea. Any kind of it: latte, frappuchino, plain. Love. Love. Love.

How I've been doing... Nothing interesting happens really. How unfortunate. Life's been a little flat and dull in my world. I'm in desperate need of a little adventure. New Year's coming soon, hope things will get spicier! Hope you're doing great, honey. How have you been?

That's one fantastic idea, Rebecca. I heart Hong Kong style milk tea (teh tarik). It's super yummy.